Mock Classroom with 29 Chairs to Be Set Up on Statehouse Lawn
Providence Teachers Union: 29 Students and Teachers to a Classroom Is Unsafe
PROVIDENCE, R.I.—A mock classroom with 29 chairs will be set up on the Statehouse lawn Tuesday to vividly show Gov. Gina Raimondo and others that the state’s guidelines allowing up to 29 people in a class is unsafe.
“There is no way that squeezing 29 students and teachers into a classroom is safe. It is outrageous that the state would sanction this glide path to spreading COVID-19,” said Providence Teachers Union President Maribeth Calabro.
“Just in case the governor doesn’t get the message with the chairs on the Statehouse lawn, I invite her to come to a classroom and see for herself the danger she apparently thinks is OK for students and teachers,” Calabro said.
WHAT: PTU Protest on Unsafe, Overcrowded Classrooms
WHEN: Tuesday, Sept. 8, 1 p.m.
WHO: PTU President Maribeth Calabro, with members of PTU’s Racial Justice Committee, will be available to speak
WHERE: Statehouse lawn
In addition to overcrowding, teachers who returned to schools last week for teacher orientation and professional development reported that many classrooms are not up to standards consistent with fending off the spread of COVID-19. They reported there were classrooms that had not been cleaned since March, rodents, poor ventilation and windows that don’t open.
For virtual learning, Calabro said the state is sanctioning up to 52 students per class. “Distance learning brings challenges for maintaining relationships and connections. Ballooning distance class sizes to double the in-person size shows a lack of concern for the social, emotional well-being of our most medically vulnerable students and of their educators,” she said.
Woonsocket Radio News Room
- 23 September 2020 Autumnfest “Virtual” 5K Run/Walk
- 23 September 2020 Museum of Work & Culture Offers Virtual Children’s Baking Workshop with Wright’s Dairy & Bakery
- 23 September 2020 Interim Report of the Statewide Grand Jury Reported September 21, 2020
- 23 September 2020 Providence Man Sentenced to Serve 4.5 Years in State Prison on Illegal Firearm Charge
- 22 September 2020 Museum & Public Library Offer Free Educational Reading Challenge for Students & Families
- 22 September 2020 House Finance Committee Meets on Wednesday to Hear Testimony on Governor’s Budget Amendment
- 22 September 2020 RI PBS Elinor Wonders Why at Woonsocket Library
- 22 September 2020 Rhode Island AFL-CIO Endorses Ballot Question Changing the Official Name of the State of Rhode Island
- 22 September 2020 Interim Report of the Statewide Grand Jury Reported September 21, 2020
- 22 September 2020 Woonsocket Rain Barrel Program
- 22 September 2020 DEM Hosts Virtual Wildlife Outreach Programs This Fall
- 22 September 2020 Speaker Mattiello Introduces Bill to Allow Restaurants to Sell Takeout Alcohol Through the End of 2021
- 19 September 2020 Autumn is Blackstone Valley's Time to Shine
- 19 September 2020 Town of North Smithfield Weekly Newsletter 9/18
- 19 September 2020 Virtual Q&A Featuring Rhode Island Manufacturers
- 19 September 2020 New Show Alert - Stadium Theatre Revival Series
- 19 September 2020 WSC Meeting Agenda of September 23, 2020
- 18 September 2020 Yard Waste Collection Resuming
- 18 September 2020 Tunes & Tales with Anne Marie Forer is live on Zoom. Wednesday September 23rd at 4pm
- 18 September 2020 Woonsocket Details Results of Clampdown on Out-of-State License Plates Parked or Garaged in City
- 17 September 2020 Swamp Scare!
- 17 September 2020 Update to City Council Special Meeting
- 17 September 2020 The Spirit of Bellingham: October 2020 Newsletter
- 17 September 2020 Reed, Whitehouse Call on Postmaster General to Immediately Reverse Operational Changes to the U.S. Postal Service Causing Delays of Medications to Rhode Islanders
- 17 September 2020 RI AFL-CIO ENews
- 17 September 2020 Brown University to Reinstate Women’s Equestrian and Fencing To Comply with Title IX and Provide Equal Opportunity for Women Athletes
- 17 September 2020 Brien For Mayor Campaign Demonstrates That Recent Press Release Issued by Mayor is Intentionally Misleading
- 17 September 2020 Cranston Man Sentenced to Serve 10 Years at the ACI on Multiple Drug Distribution Charges
- 17 September 2020 RIPTA to Provide FREE Service to Veterans Participating in Operation Stand Down RI Weekend
- 17 September 2020 RISE is Getting Real (spooky) for Halloween
- 17 September 2020 Mayor Baldelli-Hunt Releases Good News That Fitch Upholds City’s Investment Grade “A” Bond Rating Positive Operating Margins, Improved Liquidity and Economic Growth Cited by Rating Agency
- 17 September 2020 Free Trees for Rhode Island Homeowners
- 15 September 2020 Interim Report of the Statewide Grand Jury (Reported August 26, 2020)
- 15 September 2020 Pawtucket Man Sentenced to Serve 12 years in State Prison for Child Molestat
- 15 September 2020 Museum of Work & Culture Announces New Fall Hours
- 14 September 2020 Woonsocket School Committee Meeting Information
- 14 September 2020 Interim Report of the Statewide Grand Jury (Reported August 26, 2020)
- 14 September 2020 Museum of Work & Culture Presents Free Talk by Renowned Québecois Journalist
- 14 September 2020 SBA Announces Registration for National Small Business Week Virtual Conference September 22-24
- 13 September 2020 North Smithfield Weekly Town Newsletter