Woonsocket man to serve 13 years in state prison for child molestation


PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Attorney General Peter F. Neronha announced that a Woonsocket man has been sentenced in Providence County Superior Court to serve 13 years at the Adult Correctional Institutions (ACI) for first-degree child molestation against a female victim under the age of 14 between 2018 and 2021.


On March 22, 2024, Peterson Ramirez (age 37) pleaded nolo contendere of one count of first-degree child molestation and one count of conspiracy to commit first-degree child molestation. Superior Court Justice Linda Rekas Sloan sentenced the defendant to 30 years with 13 years to serve at the ACI, and a 17-year suspended sentence with 30 years of probation. Additionally, the Judge Sloan ordered lifetime sex offender registration, sex offender counseling, community supervision, and a no contact order with the victim.


“Child molestation is a terrible crime that forever changes the life of a young person,” said Attorney General Neronha. “This victim’s extraordinary courage in coming forward to tell her story will help prevent other children from experiencing similar pain at the hands of this defendant. I thank the Woonsocket Police Department for their outstanding work and partnership during the investigation and prosecution of this case.”


Had the case proceeded to trial, the State was prepared to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that between 2018 and 2021, the defendant sexually assaulted a female victim under the age of 14, who was known to him, multiple times at a residence in Woonsocket.


“I commend the victim’s bravery in coming forward so that this defendant could be held accountable,” said Woonsocket Police Chief Thomas F. Oates, III. “Justice was served in this case, and I thank Detective Koneczny, the men and women of the Woonsocket Police Department, and the Attorney General’s Office for their hard work.”


Special Assistant Attorney General Ariel Pittner of the Office of the Attorney General and Detective Gabriel Koneczny of the Woonsocket Police Department led the investigation and prosecution of the case.