The Rhode Island Association of School Principals (RIASP) is pleased to announce that Donna Coderre, Principal of Leo Savoie Elementary School, has been named as the 2017 Elementary School Principal of the Year.
RIASP Elementary School Principal of the Year 2017
The Rhode Island Association of School Principals (RIASP) is pleased to announce that Donna Coderre, Principal of Leo Savoie Elementary School, has been named as the 2017 Elementary School Principal of the Year. The award recognizes elementary school principals who have demonstrated a positive impact on their students and learning community.
Criteria for the award include:
· Demonstrates positive impact on education and advocacy for children.
· Ensures the school climate is positive and reflects high staff and student morale.
· Demonstrates creativity and imagination in bringing about positive change.
· Willing to take risks to improve student learning.
· Moves actively to implement the goals and objectives of the school.
· Works collaboratively with teachers and other staff to improve the educational program and student achievement.
· Anticipates emerging problems and acts effectively to resolve them.
· Involves the community in the life of the school and uses community resources for students.
Donna Coderre strives daily to hold teachers, parents and students accountable for learning.
Finding the balance between understanding where each individual is coming from, pushing everyone to
reach beyond their comfort zone in order to grow, and to do it with finesse so that they think it’s
a great idea is Donna’s personal challenge! She considers the district and school to be a
Professional Learning Community, and collaboration is a huge part of their success.
“Donna is incredibly deserving of this prestigious award. She has been a trailblazer for the full
day kindergarten implementation, and she is an advocate for her teachers, staff and most
importantly her students”, said Dr. Patrick McGee, Superintendent of Woonsocket Education
Department who has been working with Donna for over 20 years.
“Elementary school principals serve students at a critical juncture of their learning and
development. Donna is to be commended for her leadership and efforts to do what is best for her
students,” Jenny Chan-Remka, Assistant Superintendent of Woonsocket Education Department who
The Elementary School Principal of the Year winner was selected from a pool of nominees.
Donna Coderre will be recognized at the RIASP Principal of the Year Banquet on May 24, 2017 and
will receive her award. This award affords her the opportunity to compete for the National
Distinguished Principal of the Year award. The RIASP Elementary Principal of the Year recognition
program is run in conjunction with the National Distinguished Principal Program (NDP) which is
sponsored by the National Association of Elementary School Principals (NAESP) in corporate
sponsorship with the Variable
Annuity Life Insurance Company (VALIC).