News

Nov 21, 2013

Moore reminds constituents to practice winter fire safety


Moore reminds constituents to practice winter fire safety

BOSTON - As winter approaches, Sen. Richard T. Moore, D-Uxbridge, is
partnering with the Department of Fire Safety to remind individuals and
families of Southern Central Massachusetts to practice home fire safety.

Category: News Room
Posted by: Craig

Moore reminds constituents to practice winter fire safety

BOSTON - As winter approaches, Sen. Richard T. Moore, D-Uxbridge, is
partnering with the Department of Fire Safety to remind individuals and
families of Southern Central Massachusetts to practice home fire safety.

"Heating is the second leading cause of home fires, and the first leading
cause of carbon monoxide poisoning in the Commonwealth," stated Sen. Moore.
"As such, I am pleased to join with the Department of Fire Safety to ensure
that the residents of our region are prepared to stay warm and safe during
the winter months."

Because of high fuel prices, many often seek alternative heating sources as
the weather gets colder. It is important to keep safety in mind when using
these sources as they can present fire hazards.

The Department of Fire Services has again launched its "Keep Warm, Keep
Safe" program this year in an attempt to prepare Massachusetts citizens for
winter by focusing on fire safety and prevention.

Sen. Moore explained that there are several easy steps that can be taken to
keep individuals and families safe from the risk of home fires throughout
the winter season:

*       When using a fireplace or other solid fuel stove, be sure to store
ashes in a metal container that is positioned away from the house, deck, and
garage. Have chimneys professionally cleaned, and keep anything that can
burn at least three feet away from the fireplace.

*       Do not depend on space heaters as a primary source of heat. When in
use, keep flammable items at least three feet away. Always use heavy duty
extension cords, and turn off the space heater before leaving the house, or
going to sleep.

*       If a home uses oil as a heating source, have the furnace cleaned by
a professional and try not to let the oil tank get completely empty. If soot
or smoke is being released into the house, contact an oil service provider.

*       If a home uses natural gas as a heating source, be aware of leaks.
If the smell of something similar to rotten eggs is evident in the home, do
not turn on or off any electrical switches or begin smoking. Get outside of
the house and call 911 immediately.

*       As the holidays approach, keep in mind tree and candle safety. Keep
trees away from heat sources, and water cut trees daily. Use a non-tip tree
stand and fire retardant decorations. Never leave a lit tree unattended. If
using an artificial tree, make sure it has a fire retardant label, and never
hang lights from a metallic tree. Don't overload outlets, and extinguish all
candles before leaving a room. Don't leave lit candles unattended. Finally,
dispose of trees before they dry out and the needles begin to fall off.

*       Most importantly, be prepared. Test all smoke detectors and carbon
monoxide detectors monthly, and change the batteries twice a year. Make sure
there are smoke detectors on every floor and positioned outside of bedrooms.
Practice family fire drills, and make sure to have an escape plan in place.

To learn more about "Keep Warm, Keep Safe," visit the program's website at
www.mass.gov/keepwarmkeepsafe.

For more information about Sen. Moore, visit www.senatormoore.com, or follow
him on Facebook (www.facebook.com/senatormoore) or Twitter
(www.twitter.com/sendickmoore)