Senators de la Cruz, Gallo Call for Removal of Sexual Felon
as Chief of Medical Services at Eleanor Slater Hospital

 

STATE HOUSE – Sen. Jessica de la Cruz and Sen. Hanna M. Gallo are calling for the dismissal of Dr. Andrew Stone, a physician who lost his medical license for exposing himself to children, as the chief of medical services at the state-run Eleanor Slater Hospitals in Cranston and Burrillville.

Stone was arrested in 2006, accused of exposing himself on multiple occasions to boys in the locker room of a YMCA in Seekonk. He pleaded guilty to four felony counts of open and gross lewdness, served four months of a two-year sentence, and underwent treatment. His license to practice medicine in Rhode Island was suspended upon his arrest, then revoked in 2008.

The Rhode Island Department of Health reinstated his medical license in Rhode Island in 2015, with restrictions that his practice had to be limited to adults and group or institutional settings, and that he had to maintain treatment and monitoring. In 2018, the same year he was hired at Eleanor Slater, the state removed him from probation, citing his compliance with all restrictions that had been placed on his practice.

Stone was recently appointed to the position supporting clinical care at Eleanor Slater Hospital. The hospitals, overseen by the state’s Department of Behavioral Healthcare, Developmental Disabilities and Hospitals, provide long-term acute and post-acute care to patients with complex medical and psychiatric needs. Eleanor Slater’s Regan unit in Cranston is located in Senator Gallo’s district. Senator de la Cruz represents its Zambarano unit in Burrillville.

“How could we possibly put someone whose history includes felony sexual offenses in charge of the care of our most vulnerable patients, many of whom are unable to speak up for themselves?” said Senator de la Cruz (R-Dist. 23, North Smithfield, Burrillville, Glocester), who met with Eleanor Slater officials earlier this week. “This is simply not the role for someone who, on multiple occasions, committed criminally inappropriate acts in front of children. I’m all for rehabilitation, but we’re not talking about a substance addiction or a minor offense. In this case, it’s more appropriate to prioritize the safety of those who cannot advocate for themselves.”

The senators said they also have concerns for the hospital staff, particularly those who have a history of their own trauma.

“Above all else, hospitals should be concerned with safety and wellbeing. Putting someone with a history of sexual offenses in a position of power is taking an undue risk with patient and staff safety. We call on the Department of Behavioral Health, Developmental Disabilities and Hospitals to remove Dr. Stone from this position for the protection of everyone at Eleanor Slater,” said Senator Gallo (D-Dist. 27, Cranston, West Warwick).

 

The Labor Day travel rush is underway. According to Triple-A, drivers who left before noon today were likely to beat the heaviest traffic heading to their holiday destinations. Saturday between 6 and 10 a.m., Sunday before 11 a.m. and Monday before noon are other suggested travel windows. Meanwhile, the TSA says it will screen more than 17 million people over the period.        The White House plans to cut billions in foreign aid funding. On Thursday, President Trump moved to cut four-point-nine-billion-dollars in foreign aid through a seldom-used budgetary tactic dubbed "pocket rescissions." It is a maneuver where the president attempts to cancel funding in a window of time when Congress is in recess.        Rain from the Southwest to the Southeast may throw a wrench in the Labor Day weekend. Flash Flood Warnings had been put in place in areas of Louisiana and Mississippi earlier today. Parts of New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas and Alabama also face the biggest threat of large amounts of rainfall.        The next showdown over President Trump's immigration crackdown is likely to happen in Chicago. Multiple reports say ICE is planning expanded operations as soon as next week, much like the ones recently carried out in Los Angeles. FOX News reports that just like in Los Angeles, the White House is prepping contingency plans to send in the National Guard if any ICE protests get out of hand.        Kyle Schwarber made history Thursday night. The Phillies slugger set the franchise record with nine runs batted in after going four for six with four home runs in Philadelphia's 19-4 win over the Atlanta Braves. Schwarber is the fourth player in franchise history to hit four home runs in a single game. It's the 21st time in major league history any player has had a four-homer game.        The summer box office is winding down. Zach Cregger's "Weapons" is looking to get back on top with a projected 14-point-three million dollars over the four-day holiday weekend. Disney's "Freakier Friday" is projected to take in eleven-point-four-million dollars followed by new release "The Roses." The Benedict Cumberbatch and Olivia Colman comedy could bring in as much as 10-million dollars. "Kpop Demon Hunters A Sing-Along Event" is expected to draw younger crowds after last weekend's limited released.