General Assembly passes bill allowing officials to gather information from those who die of overdoses

 

STATE HOUSE — The General Assembly today passed legislation introduced by Rep. Joshua J. Giraldo (D-Dist. 56, Central Falls) and Sen. Joshua Miller (D-Dist. 28, Cranston, Providence) that would allow the collecting of information from overdose deaths to aid in prevention strategies.

The legislation (2023-H 5682A, 2023-S 0721A) would allow the Department of Health and the multidisciplinary team for review of drug overdose deaths to gather information on the circumstances surrounding those deaths to identify prevention and intervention strategies — as long as the relatives of the deceased are willing to provide the information.

“The opioid crisis in this state has reached an ultra-critical level,” said Representative Giraldo. “According to the Rhode Island Medical Examiner’s office, we went from 384 overdose deaths in 2021 to 435 last year. This is a public health emergency that requires new and innovative ways to tackle the problem — and having more information about these overdose fatalities will mean better prevention and intervention techniques, as well as better laws and policies.”

Under the legislation, the information gathered would remain confidential and not be subject to subpoena, discovery, or introduction into evidence in any civil or criminal proceeding, and would not be subject to disclosure beyond the team members except to authorized employees.

“This bill is aimed at preventing overdose deaths and loosening the grip of this terrible epidemic on Rhode Island,” said Senator Miller, who chairs the Senate Committee on Health and Human Services. “While of course this would be voluntary and no family would be required to provide any information if they would prefer not to, those who wish to do so could help identify ways to save Rhode Islanders’ lives and prevent other families from suffering as they have.”

The measure now moves to the governor’s office.                                      

 

The Donald Trump hush money jury has been dismissed for the day. They asked four questions regarding earlier testimony from National Enquirer publisher David Pecker, and ex-Trump lawyer Michael Cohen. They also asked the judge to read the jury instructions once again. The judge will oblige those requests tomorrow.        It's possible Donald Trump could face prison time if he's found guilty. He is charged with 34 counts, and each charge carries a maximum sentence of four years. Those counts would probably run concurrently, meaning he could see four years total. If guilty, the judge has the discretion to reduce his sentence to a fine, or give him probation or supervision.       President Biden is working to shore up support among Black voters as he seeks reelection. Biden appeared alongside Vice President Kamala Harris at a joint rally in Philadelphia today. He credited Black Americans for his 2020 election win and asked for their support to make Donald Trump "a loser again in 2024."        The World Central Kitchen says it's pausing its operations in the southern Gaza city of Rafah. The organization said the pause is due to ongoing attacks in the city. Israel resumed its strikes on Rafah on Wednesday after an airstrike killed dozens of civilians over the weekend. This comes after the World Central Kitchen just recently started up its operations in Gaza again after an Israeli airstrike killed seven aid workers in April.        Federal prosecutors are preparing to bring Sean "Diddy" Combs accusers before a grand jury in New York City. CNN reports people who have filed civil lawsuits against the rap mogul have been notified by investigators. Combs has been named in eight civil suits, including seven accusing him of sexual assault.        Disney is giving fans their first look at "Moana 2." The first teaser trailer for the sequel to the 2016 blockbuster animated film was released Wednesday. Auli'i [[ Ow-lee-e ]] Cravalho and Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson will reprise their roles as Moana and Maui.