RISE is Getting Real (spooky) for Halloween
Rhode Island Stage Ensemble, one of the Ocean State’s premier community theater companies, is thrilled to announce a very different kind of virtual performance event for our Halloween fundraiser.
Error! Filename not specified.
"Ever been at one of those parties – maybe around Halloween, maybe around a summertime campfire – when people start sharing their true-life stories of the supernatural?
The tone of the evening changes. As the night goes on, the shadows seem to grow darker. You find yourself jumping at every noise. And once the conversation gets going, you realize… almost everyone has a story.
We want to hear yours.
Ghosts. Ouija board sessions gone wrong. Weird family secrets. UFOs. All manner of cryptids, mysteries, and things that go bump in the night.
Sometimes they seem to have a mundane explanation….
Yeah, we don’t want those stories."
WHAT IS THIS???
A pre-recorded audio program of people sharing their true-life stories of the unexplained, which will be livestreamed on Saturday, October 24 at 8:00 PM for a “virtual campfire” listening party on Facebook. After this Facebook Live event, the program will be made available for free download. Voluntary donations will be encouraged throughout the livestream and on the download page, but no fee will be charged to listen or participate.
An online vote for Best Story will be held following the livestream. The winner will receive a four-pack of tickets for any future RISE production AND a $25 Chelo’s Gift Card!
Cost to participants: Nothing
How to share a story:
- Record it in any format - mp3, voice memo, etc. Videos are fine, too! We will only use the audio!
- OR, if people prefer a listener/interviewer, we’re happy to set up a phone call and record it for them!
GUIDELINES FOR PARTICIPANTS:
1. There is no need to “act” or perform your story, or to gussy it up with spooky sound effects, etc. Just tell it straight, as if sharing it with friends.
2. First-hand accounts are preferred. Second-hand accounts are fine, if you have the subject’s permission. Beyond that, we’re into urban legend territory.
3. The story must be true, and must deal with something “unexplained.” There are certainly plenty of earthly horrors in this world, but we’re looking for the weird stuff.
4. Start by introducing yourself by name.
5. Try to keep the language PG (if not, we may bleep).
Now entering our 15th season, Rhode Island Stage Ensemble is one of the pre-eminent theater companies of northern Rhode Island. Based in Woonsocket’s historic Morning Star Masonic Lodge, RISE’s mission is to provide quality, affordable theater performances and high-caliber education programs for children, youth, and adults.