Jury finds Providence man guilty of 2011 murder of 17-year-old Providence woman


PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Attorney General Peter F. Neronha today announced that a Providence man was found guilty in Providence County Superior Court of the 2011 murder of 17-year-old Tiphany Tallo in Providence.


On October 4, 2022, following the conclusion of a 12-day jury trial before Superior Court Justice Robert D. Krause, the jury found Leron Porter (age 41) guilty of one count of second-degree murder, one count of discharge of a firearm when committing a crime of violence resulting in death, and one count of possession of a firearm by person prohibited. The State has also filed a notice with the Court asking that it find the defendant to be deemed a habitual criminal, which carries a maximum 25-year sentence consecutive to any other sentence imposed. The jury returned the verdict after approximately five hours of deliberation.


The defendant is currently being held without bail at the Adult Correctional Institutions (ACI) pending a sentencing hearing that will be scheduled for a later date in Providence County Superior Court.


Previously, the defendant was convicted in Providence County Superior Court of the murder of Tiphany Tallo and sentenced by Superior Court Justice Netti C. Vogel on March 6, 2014 to consecutive life sentences at the ACI. On May 31, 2022, the United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit ordered that the defendant’s conviction be vacated, and he be retried in State court within 90 days. Following the First Circuit’s decision, the State retried the defendant for murder, concluding with today’s guilty verdict.


“Tiphany Tallo meant everything to her family, friends and community. Just 17 years old when she was murdered by this defendant, she had her whole life ahead of her. A life that undoubtedly would have brought much joy to others and accomplished much for the community. Her possibilities were limitless. And so the pursuit of justice for her, whatever the obstacles along the way, was of critical importance both to this Office and our partners at the Providence Police Department,” said Attorney General Neronha. “I am grateful for the jury’s verdict today, and for the resilience of Tiphany’s family during this long road. I am also grateful to the men and women of the Providence Police Department for their continued outstanding work, in this case and in so many others.”

During the trial, the State proved beyond a reasonable doubt that during the early evening hours of May 9, 2011, the defendant shot and killed 17-year-old Tiphany Tallo during a violent melee in Providence involving family members of the defendant and victim.


That evening, the defendant travelled with several family members to a home on Spruce Street to confront Ms. Tallo’s sister during an ongoing dispute between her and the defendant’s sister.


Shortly after the defendant and his family members arrived at the home on Spruce Street, the defendant’s sister fought with Ms. Tallo’s sister, both falling to the ground. Members of the defendant’s family then stabbed Ms. Tallo’s sister with a knife and beat her with a wooden bat.


At that moment, Ms. Tallo attempted to come to her sister’s aid, when the defendant shot her once in the chest with a .45 caliber handgun. The defendant and his family members then fled the scene in two vehicles before being apprehended by Providence Police officers a short time later.


Hours later, Tiphany Tallo was pronounced dead at a local hospital. Investigators never recovered the handgun the defendant used to murder her.


At the time of the murder, the defendant was on supervised federal parole after serving seven and a half years for a federal firearms violation. He had been released from federal custody on April 30, 2011, just days before the murder.


“Investigating homicide cases is challenging, for many reasons, but the men and women of the Providence Police Department consistently remain ready to meet that challenge,” said Steven M. Paré, Providence Commissioner of Public Safety. “First in 2011, and now in 2022, we stood ready to seek justice for a young victim and her family. I thank the members of the Providence Police Department and the Office of the Attorney General who worked diligently on this case to ensure that justice was served.”


“Today’s guilty verdict sends a strong message to those involved in violent crime – law enforcement officials will not tire in their pursuit of justice,” said Providence Police Chief Colonel Hugh T. Clements, Jr. “Our thoughts are with the victim and her loved ones today, with hope that this verdict can bring some sense of justice to them following this traumatic, life altering experience.”


Assistant Attorney General Peter Roklan and Special Assistant Attorney General Alison Bittl of the Office of the Attorney General and Detective Casey Moffett (retired), William Mattera, and Michael Otrando of the Providence Police Department led the investigation and most recent prosecution of the case.