Jury finds two Providence men guilty of 2018 drive-by shooting murder of 57-year-old Providence man

PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Attorney General Peter F. Neronha announced today that two Providence men have been found guilty in Providence County Superior Court of the 2018 murder of 57-year-old David Page in a drive-by shooting in Providence.

On October 6, 2022, following the conclusion of a 17-day jury trial before Superior Court Justice Kristen E. Rodgers, the jury found Chandanoeuth Hay (age 32) and Jaythan Hang (23) guilty of murder, conspiracy, two counts of assault with a dangerous weapon, three counts of discharging a firearm while committing a crime of violence, discharging a firearm from a motor vehicle, and carrying a pistol without a license.

Additionally, Chandanoeuth Hay was found guilty of possession of a firearm after being convicted of a crime of violence. The State has also filed a notice with the Court asking that it find Chandanoeuth Hay to be deemed a habitual criminal, which carries a maximum 25-year sentence consecutive to any other sentence imposed.

The defendants are currently being held without bail at the Adult Correctional Institutions (ACI) pending a hearing on their motion for a new trial scheduled for November 1, 2022, in Providence County Superior Court.

“This case is about senseless and indiscriminate gun violence. And this violence, which too often results in death, can be traced to one thing, the very thing that is at the heart of this case: illegal firearms wielded by criminals all too willing to use them at a moment’s notice to settle minor disputes and ridiculous scores,” said Attorney General Neronha. “I am grateful that the day of consequence and justice has arrived for these defendants, who now face entirely deserved long sentences in state prison for so blithely taking the life of another. I am grateful to Mr. Page’s family for their patience as we have travelled this road together. And the men and women of the Providence Police Department have my continued admiration and gratitude for their outstanding work investigating this case and ensuring its successful prosecution.”

During the trial, the State proved beyond a reasonable doubt that during the early morning hours of June 26, 2018, the defendants shot at three occupants in a vehicle on Lowell Avenue in Providence during a drive-by shooting, killing David Page.

Just after midnight, David Page drove to a home on Lowell Ave. to pick up two passengers. Once both passengers entered his car, the defendants pulled alongside, in a stolen black Audi sedan with tinted windows, and fired at least nine shots from a Smith & Wesson .22 caliber long rifle pistol at the residence and the occupants in Mr. Page’s vehicle, before driving away. Investigators ultimately found the pistol which was used to kill Mr. Page with assistance from the Rhode Island State Crime Lab.

David Page was killed instantly, and the two other occupants were not struck by any bullets.

Investigators established that the defendants were affiliated with a local gang, known to law enforcement, and conspired to find rival gang members prior to killing Mr. Page.

“The men and women of the Providence Police Department continue to remain steadfast in their ongoing efforts to prevent crime within our community and investigate all crimes utilizing every resource necessary,” said Steven M. Paré, Providence Commissioner of Public Safety. “This verdict should send a clear message that we will not stop in our pursuit of justice for victims, their loved ones, and the community we serve.”

“I applaud the exhaustive investigative efforts of our detectives and the Attorney General’s office for bringing these dangerous criminals to justice,” said Providence Police Chief Colonel Hugh T. Clements, Jr. “The egregious violent behavior of these defendants put many in our community at risk, and this verdict will ensure that these criminals will be removed from our streets.”

Assistant Attorneys General John Moreira and Jeffrey Morin of the Office of the Attorney General, and Detectives Michael Otrando, Stephen Sullivan, and Theodore Michael of the Providence Police Department led the investigation and prosecution of the case.