Jury finds Connecticut man guilty of 2020 murder of 28-year-old Westerly man
PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Attorney General Peter F. Neronha announced today that a Connecticut man has been found guilty in Washington County Superior Court of the 2020 murder of 28-year-old Vincent Sebastian in Westerly.
On October 11, 2022, following the conclusion of a 14-day jury trial before Superior Court Justice Melanie Wilk Thunberg, the jury found Louis Seignious (age 33), of Norwich, Connecticut, guilty of first-degree murder, carrying a firearm during the commission of a crime of violence, and domestic breaking and entering. The jury returned the verdict after approximately two days of deliberation.
The defendant is currently being held without bail at the Adult Correctional Institutions (ACI) pending a sentencing hearing scheduled on November 29, 2022 in Washington County Superior Court.
“In 2020, this defendant violently took the life of Mr. Sebastian in a senseless act of domestic rage and jealousy,” said Attorney General Neronha. “Nothing can bring Mr. Sebastian back to his family and friends, but I hope that this verdict delivers a measure of justice for them. The defendant now faces a state prison sentence of great length. Secured in the place far into the future, he will be unable to harm anyone else, whether at the point of a gun or otherwise. I am grateful for the jury’s verdict, and to the men and women of the Westerly Police Department for their outstanding work, in this case and in so many others.”
During the trial, the State proved beyond a reasonable doubt that during the early evening on January 25, 2020, the defendant shot and killed 28-year-old Vincent Sebastian at a home in Westerly and subsequently eluded law enforcement for the following week.
Earlier that day, the defendant threatened Mr. Sebastian after he learned that Mr. Sebastian was romantically involved with a woman that he had previously dated and with whom he shared a child.
Following these threats, the defendant drove to a home on Marriot Avenue where Mr. Sebastian was located and entered through the front door uninvited. The defendant drew a revolver and shot Mr. Sebastian once in the chest. Mr. Sebastian was able to force the defendant out of the home by pushing the front door closed. Moments later, Mr. Sebastian collapsed and died of his injuries he sustained from the gunshot.
The defendant drove away from scene and hid from law enforcement for the following week, until he was captured by law enforcement at a home in Groton, Conn.
The gun the defendant used during the shooting was never recovered.
“I applaud the investigative efforts of the Westerly Police Department, including our detective division, and the Attorney General’s office for bringing the defendant to justice,” said Westerly Police Chief Paul J. Gingerella. “Our community is safer today now that the defendant has been found guilty and will ultimately be sentenced to a significant amount of time in prison.”
Assistant Attorney General Mark Trovato of the Office of the Attorney General and Detective Sergeant Dana Gervasini and Detective Sergeant David Turano (retired) of the Westerly Police Department led the investigation and prosecution of the case.