Providence man sentenced to 32 years in state prison for 2019 sexual assault and armed robbery
PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Attorney General Peter F. Neronha announced today that a Providence man has been sentenced in Providence County Superior Court for his role in a 2019 assault and robbery involving two female victims in Providence.
On June 8, 2023, Diamond Wilson-Wooten (age 28) was sentenced to 52 years, with 32 to serve at the Adult Correctional Institutions (ACI) during a hearing before Superior Court Justice Robert D. Krause.
On March 13, 2023, the defendant entered a guilty plea to two counts of first-degree robbery, three counts of first-degree sexual assault, two counts of using a firearm during crimes of violence, and two counts of conspiracy.
“While today’s news cannot undo the traumatic harm the defendant caused the two victims in this case, I hope this just and lengthy prison sentence will bring some measure of comfort to them and their loved ones,” said Attorney General Neronha. “I am grateful for our continued partnership with the Providence Police Department and commend the hard work by the investigative team and prosecution team for their work on this case.”
Had the case proceeded to trial, the State was prepared to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that during the early morning hours of January 20, 2019, the defendant, along with two previously convicted co-defendants, sexually assaulted and robbed two female victims at gunpoint in the area of Manton Avenue in Providence.
At approximately 4:00 a.m. that morning, Diamond Wilson-Wooten, and co-defendants DeWaun Smith and Hector Cintron were traveling in a vehicle in the area of Manton Ave. Wilson-Wooten, the driver of the vehicle, cut off another vehicle occupied by the two female victims. Wilson-Wooten and Smith jumped out of their vehicle and Smith ordered the victims out of their vehicle at gunpoint. The men took an Apple Watch, jewelry, and cash from the victims before driving away.
Shortly thereafter, the defendants encountered the victims’ car again on a nearby street. DeWaun Smith exited the vehicle, again armed with a gun, and jumped into the backseat of the victims’ car and forced them to follow the vehicle driven by Wilson-Wooten to a location off of Manton Ave.
The defendants then, at gunpoint, sexually assaulted the female victims.
On September 9, 2022, Hector Cintron was convicted of three counts of first-degree sexual assault, conspiracy to commit first-degree sexual assault, and use of a firearm during a crime of violence and sentenced to 37 years, with 17 years to serve at the ACI, and a 20-year suspended sentence with 37 years of probation. The defendant was ordered by the Court to register as a sex offender, complete sex offender counseling, and is subject to community supervision. The court also issued a No Contact Order between the defendant and his victims.
The third codefendant, DeWaun Smith, entered a plea of nolo contendere to similar sexual assault and robbery charges on March 9, 2023. He awaits sentencing at the ACI.
“The men and women of the Providence Police Department work tirelessly each and every day to protect our community. Senseless acts of violence have no place within our communities and the defendant in this case received the lengthy sentence that he deserves,” said Providence Police Chief Oscar Perez. “Our thoughts are with the victims and their loved ones and hope that this verdict brings them some semblance of peace. I am proud of the work conducted by the men and women of the Providence Police Department throughout this investigation and thank the prosecutors at the Office of the Attorney General for bringing the defendant to justice.”
Detectives Robert Melaragno, Matthew Rampone, and Christopher Ziroli of the Providence Police Department and Special Assistant Attorneys General Jonathan Burke and Jessica Villella of the Office of the Attorney General led the investigation and prosecution of the case.