News

Mar 3, 2017

Woonsocket


Historical Reenactor Details Life in Civil War Camps

Category: News Room
Posted by: Craig

What: Paul Bourget on Life in Civil War Encampments [FREE EVENT]

When: Sunday, March 12, 1:30pm

Where: The Museum of Work & Culture, 42 S. Main St., Woonsocket, R.I.

Historical Reenactor Details Life in Civil War Camps

(WOONSOCKET, R.I.) – The Museum of Work & Culture will offer the next installment of its free Valley Talks series on Sunday, March 12, at 1:30pm.

 

While most historians and the general public focus on the military aspects of the Civil War, the actual time spent in planning and fighting battles took approximately 10% of a soldier’s daily life. Writer and historical reenactor Paul Bourget will explore the remaining 90% in his presentation on Civil War encampments. He will detail issues of transportation, camp set-ups, medicine, military chores, and especially food, including a sampling of hardtack.

 

Bourget is the owner and president of Bourget & Associates. He was the editor, researcher, and co-writer of Towers of Faith and Family, a history of Woonsocket’s St. Ann’s parish, and was the founding president of St. Ann Arts and Cultural Center. He currently serves as the President of the Museum of Work & Culture’s Preservation Foundation, Treasurer of the Stadium Theatre Preservation Foundation, and a member of the Woonsocket School Committee. Bourget is also an experienced historical reenactor, portraying Brigadier General George Sears Greene, a native Rhode Islander and forgotten hero of Gettysburg.

 

Seating is limited to 75 and is first-come, first-served.

 

Other Valley Talks will include:

 

March 19 (rescheduled): Filmmaker Kenneth Proudfoot will screen his documentary The Amazing Life & Times of Austin T. Levy, with a Q&A to follow.

 

About the Museum of Work & Culture

The interactive and educational Museum of Work & Culture shares the stories of the men, women, and children who came to find a better life in Rhode Island’s mill towns in the late 19th- and 20th centuries. It recently received aRhode Island Monthly Best of Rhode Island Award for its SensAbilities Saturdays all-ability program.

 

About the Rhode Island Historical Society

Founded in 1822, the RIHS is the fourth-oldest historical society in the United States and is Rhode Island’s largest and oldest historical organization, as well as its only Smithsonian Affiliate. In Providence, the RIHS owns and operates the John Brown House Museum, a designated National Historic Landmark, built in 1788; the Aldrich House, built in 1822 and used for administration and public programs; and the Mary Elizabeth Robinson Research Center, where archival, book and image collections are housed. In Woonsocket, the RIHS manages the Museum of Work and Culture, a community museum examining the industrial history of northern Rhode Island and of the workers and settlers, especially French-Canadians, who made it one of the state’s most distinctive areas.