RIPTA Officially Announces It Will Not Move Forward with Service Reductions

 

Routes will remain the same; RIPTA asks for passenger patience as the agency works to build its workforce and reduce missed trips

 

 

PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The Rhode Island Public Transit Authority (RIPTA) officially announced today that it will not move forward with previously proposed service reductions, which were scheduled to go into effect on Saturday, June 15, 2024, as part of the Authority’s seasonal service adjustments.

 

Christopher Durand, interim Chief Executive Officer, asked RIPTA’s Board of Directors to not act on the proposed service reductions at the April Board meeting stating that the Agency was aggressively working to recruit new drivers.

 

"Our priority is always to provide reliable and accessible transit services for our passengers," said Christopher Durand, Interim Chief Executive Officer. "While we face challenges with the current driver shortage, we recognize the critical role that public transit plays in the lives of our community. By officially cancelling these service reductions and focusing on hiring new drivers, we aim to maintain our commitment to our passengers.  We are dedicated to building a robust workforce to ensure that our transit services meet the needs of everyone who relies on RIPTA every day."

 

The proposed service reductions were meant to recalibrate RIPTA schedules with the level of service it can consistently run, so that service is accurate and reliable for passengers. With the cancellation of service reductions, passengers may see an increase in cancelled trips as RIPTA continues to onboard new drivers.

 

“We ask for patience and understanding from our passengers as they will see an increase in missed trips as a result of us not moving forward with these service reductions,” Durand said.

 

The Authority will use Transit app and Google Maps to notify passengers in case of cancelled trips related to its driver shortage, aiming to improve service reliability for all riders. While RIPTA’s goal is to never miss a trip, sometimes the Authority must cancel a trip due to driver availability. When that happens, passengers can check Transit App to see if a trip has been cancelled and plan accordingly. Riders will know a trip has been cancelled when the departure time has a real-time symbol but is turned grey and is crossed out. Click here to see what a cancelled trip looks like in the Transit app.

 

Durand added, "We greatly appreciate the State's commitment to public transit and are grateful for the financial support in the budget to address RIPTA’s operational financial deficit. Alongside this essential support, the legislation introduced on Friday contains the efficiency study recommended by the Governor, which will help RIPTA identify ways to address future budget deficits."

 

For more information on RIPTA services, call 401-781-9400 or visit RIPTA.com.

 

The Labor Day travel rush is underway. According to Triple-A, drivers who left before noon today were likely to beat the heaviest traffic heading to their holiday destinations. Saturday between 6 and 10 a.m., Sunday before 11 a.m. and Monday before noon are other suggested travel windows. Meanwhile, the TSA says it will screen more than 17 million people over the period.        The White House plans to cut billions in foreign aid funding. On Thursday, President Trump moved to cut four-point-nine-billion-dollars in foreign aid through a seldom-used budgetary tactic dubbed "pocket rescissions." It is a maneuver where the president attempts to cancel funding in a window of time when Congress is in recess.        Rain from the Southwest to the Southeast may throw a wrench in the Labor Day weekend. Flash Flood Warnings had been put in place in areas of Louisiana and Mississippi earlier today. Parts of New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas and Alabama also face the biggest threat of large amounts of rainfall.        The next showdown over President Trump's immigration crackdown is likely to happen in Chicago. Multiple reports say ICE is planning expanded operations as soon as next week, much like the ones recently carried out in Los Angeles. FOX News reports that just like in Los Angeles, the White House is prepping contingency plans to send in the National Guard if any ICE protests get out of hand.        Kyle Schwarber made history Thursday night. The Phillies slugger set the franchise record with nine runs batted in after going four for six with four home runs in Philadelphia's 19-4 win over the Atlanta Braves. Schwarber is the fourth player in franchise history to hit four home runs in a single game. It's the 21st time in major league history any player has had a four-homer game.        The summer box office is winding down. Zach Cregger's "Weapons" is looking to get back on top with a projected 14-point-three million dollars over the four-day holiday weekend. Disney's "Freakier Friday" is projected to take in eleven-point-four-million dollars followed by new release "The Roses." The Benedict Cumberbatch and Olivia Colman comedy could bring in as much as 10-million dollars. "Kpop Demon Hunters A Sing-Along Event" is expected to draw younger crowds after last weekend's limited released.